Find the Best Cataract Surgeon for You
September 25, 2017
Finding the best cataract surgeon can be difficult. Cataract surgery is very common and chances are that you already know someone who has recently had cataract surgery. You will be overloaded with recommendations and opinions.
As you start your own "research" in your quest for finding the best cataract surgeon, here are some questions you might want to discuss.
What to Ask Your Friends
Here are a few questions you might ask a friend or relative who recently had cataract surgery.
- Was the staff friendly, courteous and knowledgeable? A friendly and courteous staff usually reflects the personality of the doctor. A knowledgeable staff can mean they are also very experienced.
- Was there confusion about the billing? While most insurance, including Medicare, covers cataract surgery, medical billing can be very difficult to understand. As an example, cataract surgery usually generates 3 separate fees. There is the doctor's fee, the anesthesiologist's fee and the hospital (facility) fee. Make sure you know what to expect.
- Did the doctor take his/her time to answer all your questions, discuss any options and explain possible alternatives? Not everyone has the same needs and expectations. Find out all you can about your procedure. For instance, there are several IOL (implants) available for your cataract surgery such as the premium Symfony IOL.
- What were the results? Were your expectations met?
- When and where will post-operative care be scheduled?
What to Ask the Doctor
Making an appointment does not commit you to that surgeon or to cataract surgery. Here are some talking points you may use to discuss with the doctor and your family.
- How many cataract surgeries have you performed? Experience matters. Choosing a surgeon with thousands of procedures is different than choosing a surgeon with less experience. With more experience, there is likely to be fewer complications and also more predictable results.
- Do you use Premium IOLs? What do you recommend for me? Premium IOLs, such as the Symfony IOL, may allow you to be completely glasses free.
- Where do you operate? Most cataract surgery is performed as an outpatient in a freestanding surgical center or hospital experienced with cataract and eye surgery. You want your doctor’s surgical staff to be experienced, too.
- Where will my post-operative care be scheduled? Who will perform the follow-up care? Follow-up care is often shared between doctors. Sometimes your referring doctor may participate.
Finding the "best" cataract surgeon will involve lots of research and discussion with friends and family. Make sure to choose someone who you trust and who understands your visual needs and expectations.
Considering cataract surgery? Call us to make your appointment (301.825.5755).
#cataract #surgeon #symfonyIOL
The material contained on this site is for informational purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider.
These are surgical procedures and results may vary. While infrequent, complications can occur. Before your procedure, you will read an Informed Consent document which discusses potential complications and risks. Dr. Whitten will thoroughly review this information with you and answer your questions.